Saturday 8 October 2016

Johnny he’s gone awa’ na fer all time: me brutha who died in 2010



Johnny in the cardigan 1966

Johnny he’s gone awa’ na fer all time
I threw ma bruther oot
Inta tha rubbish bin
Afta I’d burned every bit of ‘im
He’d pissed me off
Turnin’ up in ma dreams
Like liquorice an’ a spit of salt
Like black cloud
A bad fart
He hung about
Fillin me hed wi’ dreams
Of Johnny 
When Johnny did na exist
But I did
An’ I was havin’ na more of that!
‘Em big boots!
Tramplin’ ma hed
An’ me whimperin’ in ma sleep
Like a bairn! Like a babby!
Me awake’ in’ up at every soond
The cold sweat, Johnny,
Of havin’ ye about the hoose

Like a gun shot in the night
Like an echo of a bad ‘un 
that dunno ta let be

He hung himself
It was him or me
And Johnny
Yer ha’ ta go

I tore Johnny into strips
And watched by the cat
I set Johnny on fire
Until he was ashes
I burned every bit of him
That came to me

Twenty five years on
And then I put him in a jar
And made him go

I threw ma bruther
Inta’ tha rubbish bin

It’s been quiet since he’s a gone
Na dreams
Na shadows stalkin’ me at night
Na one to play marbles in me heed
I am back to bein’ me

Bye Johnny, bye-bye
Stay away is all I’ll say
An wherever yer are
In this life marra
Yer now done
So stay gone !


January 2012, Sydenham

No comments:

Post a Comment